For residents of the EU, please note that this Policy has been updated in accordance with the requirements of EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). For residents of the US, by visiting, joining, or using piertalk, or otherwise indicating that you agree to this Policy, you consent to and authorise our using your personal information as described in this Policy.
When you use piertalk there are also expectations for how you must respect and protect the privacy of other members. These are spelt out in our Membership Agreement. Please read it. Violating these rules or other aspects of the piertalk Membership Agreement may lead to a loss of account privileges, potentially including a permanent ban from piertalk.
1.0 Who or what is piertalk?
piertalk is a non-profit making community group; we hope that members of the local community will use the piertalk platform to build a stronger and safer community.
We use “piertalk” here to refer to the piertalk website that provides you with access to that platform. We also use “piertalk”, “we”, “us” and “our” to refer to the companies operating our Services.
2.0 Who provides the Services and controls my information?
If you live in the EU or elsewhere outside the United States, piertalk is operated and provided to you by piertalk.com, a non-profit making community group. For the purposes of EU data protection law, piertalk.com is also your data controller.
Our legal bases for collecting, using, sharing and otherwise processing your information – piertalk relies on a number of legal bases to collect, use, share, and otherwise process the information we have about you for the purposes described in this Policy. These legal bases include:
as is necessary to perform the Membership Agreement and to provide the Services;
where you have consented to the processing, which you may revoke at any time;
for piertalk to comply with a legal obligation, a court order, or to exercise and defend legal claims;
when necessary to protect your vital interests, or those of others;where you have made the information manifestly public;
where necessary in the public interest; and
where necessary for the purposes of piertalk’s or a third party’s legitimate interests, such as those of visitors, members or partners.
3.0 Our legitimate interests
We process your information in furtherance of the following legitimate interests:
Keeping the Services safe and secure: We use your information as it is necessary to pursue our and our members’ legitimate interests in ensuring piertalk is secure, such as by implementing and enhancing security measures and protections, protecting against fraud, spam and abuse and enforcing our Membership Agreement.
Providing, improving and developing the Services: We use your information to provide the Services, including any personalised services. We do so as it is necessary to pursue our legitimate interests of providing an innovative and tailored offering to our members on a sustained basis.
4.0 Information we collect
We collect or receive information from you with your permission. We collect a variety of information from you when you provide it to us directly or when we request it from you. We provide some examples of these below:
When you join piertalk, you provide your name, address, phone number, profile photo, email address, and similar information.
If you use Facebook to log in to piertalk (or later connect your accounts for example uploading your profile photo), you authorise Facebook to share your personal information with us, including your name and email address.
If you want to support a local business, you can choose to share information about it, in the form of a Recommendation.
- If you want to communicate with other members and share Content (as defined in our Membership Agreement), you might post something on piertalk.
If you contact us with a support request or comments, you provide us with your contact information and a description of the issue so we can respond.
5.0 Your Rights
- Access You can access your piertalk information by logging into your piertalk account.
- Rectify, Restrict, Limit, Delete. You can also rectify, restrict, limit or delete your piertalk information by logging into your piertalk account. If you cannot do this, or you do not have a piertalk account, please email us.
- Revoke consent. Where you have previously provided your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent, for example, you can withdraw your consent to receiving emails using the unsubscribe link in such communications.
- Complain. If you wish to raise a concern about our use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with piertalk.com.
6.0 Sharing information with third parties
- Sharing Content with the local community piertalk is a platform for the local community to share helpful information with each other. To that end, we make the Content you post on piertalk, such as posts, replies and messages available to other piertalk members, as described in this Policy.
- Marketing and spam. We know that you do not want spam or marketing calls from third parties, so we will never sell or rent your contact information to third parties.
- Legal and safety reasons. We may retain, preserve, or share your personal information if we have a good-faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to
- respond, based on applicable law, to a legal request (e.g., a subpoena, search warrant, court order, or other request from government or law enforcement);
- detect, investigate, prevent, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues;
- protect our rights, property, or safety;
- enforce our Membership Agreement or any other agreements we have with you;
- prevent physical injury or other harm to any person or entity, including yourself and members of the general public.
7.0 Data retention
We may retain your information in our server logs, our databases and our records for as long as necessary in light of the purposes set out in this Policy, subject to any legal obligations to further retain such information. We may retain your verification-related information for a reasonable period of time, even if you do not complete all verification steps, to assist with future verifications and to prevent abuse of our verification processes. If you decide not to verify the account and would like us to delete the verification information you provided, please email us.
8.0 Additional information
- Account Security. piertalk uses technical and organisational measures intended to keep your data secure, including using https on our web pages to reduce the risk of unauthorised interception of your communications during your visits to the website. However, the internet is not a fully secure environment and we cannot guarantee that your personal information won’t be intercepted or improperly accessed. Please ensure that you keep your password safe and do not share it with anyone.
- Other Services and Websites. In using piertalk, you may come across links to websites and services operated by third parties (for example, if a member shares a link to a video on YouTube). These third parties have their own privacy policies, which will apply to your activity if you click on the link and access their website or service. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for such external sites’ privacy and security practices.
- Amendments to the Policy From time to time we may make changes to this Policy, so please review it periodically. If we materially change our Policy, we will take steps to notify you in advance of the change, for example by emailing you The most up-to-date version of the Policy is available here.
9.0 Contact Us
piertalk.com 29 Sherwood Way Southend SS2 4SR
Tel : 07474 119899 / 01702 322420
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated: 15 May 2018.